Before we get started, it’s important that you have all these tools in your business toolbox: a website, a blog, a Twitter account, a Facebook account, a LinkedIn account and an email marketing (newsletter) plan. If you don’t have one of these things, go out and sign up right now! You need those social media outlets to competitively market your business to today’s plugged-in consumer.
Content Marketing: it means that you’re seamlessly integrating all your online interactions into one whole branded identity. There are three types of content: long form, which includes blog entries, articles you write and ebooks; short form, which includes tweets, Facebook updates and image posts; and conversation/sharing, when you post comments in a forum or on a blog, or start an exchange via Twitter.
The key here is cross-promotion – everything should link to everything else.
Here are some things to consider when you’re linking your social media presence:
- Social Media icons, with links, should be present on the Home page & About Us page of your website
- These icons & links should also be part of your blog (look towards the top of that sidebar —>)
- On your business cards, along with your web address, include small social media icons so people know you have those accounts
- Your email newsletter should contain links at the bottom to all your social media sites and your website
- Share links to your blog and website in every online profile you have
- Share your blog content with LinkedIn groups
- Post new blog updates to your company Facebook Page – all your followers (who clicked “Like”) will see it
- Ask your web designer to customize your Facebook Page with an app (that acts as a landing page when people visit it, rather than seeing just your Wall – visit ours to see what I mean!)
- Install a Twitter or blog widget (small application installed within a website, like a mini-feed) on your Home Page or About Us page
- Be sure all your marketing materials – from printed brochures to online ads – contain links to your website an at least two forms of social media
- Check out Facebook Ads or Google AdWords as ways to reach the online community